Monday, June 13, 2011

Packing for Route 66

How do you pack for 3+ weeks on the road and not just any road, but The Mother Road - Route 66? I tend to overpack for a weekend get away; how will I fit everything I need for this trip into just one suitcase?! I know I will need jeans and t-shirts (do I even own any?) and shorts and flip-flops. What else should I pack for the journey of a lifetime? I have a beautiful pair of rhinestone chandelier earrings. I wonder if I will have an opportunity to wear them? I will be taking Gap, Banana Republic, Fossil, Ralph Lauren, and Geoffery Beene down a road that was once filled with those escaping the dust bowl. I know I will need a camera to capture those neon images that were non-existent in 1926, so I packed my 35mm Nikon. My daughter asked if anyplace even developed film anymore and handed me her digital camera while exacting a promise from me to post pictures nightly. A can of spray paint is a must for the Cadillac Ranch. I have been thinking for days of what words of wisdom to write on one of those old cars...awe-inspiring words that will be covered at some point so that others may paint their enlightenments.

My trip will begin on Saturday with the drive from Brevard, NC to Chicago. Sunday morning before the sun or the Windy City awakens, we will start at the famous "Begin Historic Route 66" sign. My heart is pounding with excitement just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment