Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Day of Disappointments and Reflections

Last night at the Lincoln Motel was great...nice, clean room; great shower; the glow of the neon! We were up early this morning and on the road through the rest of Oklahoma. While there is nothing boring about travels on The Mother Road and no part of the trip has been disappointing, today was a day of disappointments and (in part because of the disappointment) a day of reflections.

The first disappointment came early when John Hargrove's Oklahoma County 66 Auto Trim and Mini Museum was not open. So, we drove to the Round Barn which was not open yet. So we decided to drive to Pops...a very neat soda shop - over 600 kinds of soda pops! After Pops, we toured the Round Barn and drove back to John's place and it was still closed. We did manage to snap a few pictures from outside of the fence, but that only left me wanting to see inside the gate even more.







Mike and I decided since he was good at translating Jerry McClannahan's travelers' guide, he would navigate through the kludge of roads that takes the Route 66'ers through Oklahoma City while I would drive. Disappointment #2 came in OKC when I missed the giant milk bottle on Classen because I was focused on the road and the bottle was not right on our path but rather diagonal to us.

However, we did make it through OKC without any mishaps. As we were leaving the city, we saw some great photo ops...disappointment #3 was that they were all on the east-bound side of the road and we are, of course, travelling westward. We made the decision to make a u-turn and head east just to capture some great pictures. Not only did we get pictures of Jack's BBQ, Ann's Chicken Fry House, and the Carlyle; we had a great lunch at Ann's.






Yukon and El Reno proved to be uneventful. On the way to Hydro we drove on parts of the original Route 66 - portland concrete. It was so moving to think of the millions that travelled this very road before us - their joys, their promises, their disappointments. It made me re-think how I felt about parts of our day.  Imagine what it would have been like 50 years ago travelling in 90 degree heat in a vehicle that was unreliable at best heading into unknown territory...and here I am on the trip of a lifetime with a handsome, smart, funny companion with the air condition blasting and I was disappointment about not seeing a giant milk bottle?!!



Just as I was feeling guilty about my feelings, disappointment #4 came. I realized that I could not interpret Jerry's book at all. A big part of the Route through Oklahoma is spent zig-zagging across the interstate...I got us off track in Geary, again in Weatherford, again in Clinton, and then again in Canute. And then, like a light; Jerry's directions became clear (ok, so Mike explained it to me). But, the disappointments of the day weren't over; Owl Drugs in Sayre was closed and a little ways down the road we found out that Annabell Russell of the Mediocre Music Makers in Erick is sick and that she and her husband Harley are staying in OKC and not performing right now. Hopefully, Annabell will make a full recovery and the Mediocre Music Makers will be back entertaining Mother Road Adventurers (like Mike and me) very soon.

Now, it is late and I am blogging about my day and thinking about this trip...missing a few photo ops, getting off track a few times, and not getting to meet Harley and Annabell are minor issues. I have seen pieces of Americana that may not be here in another 5 years, have meet some of the most unique people that are making great efforts to keep Route 66 alive, am travelling with the most wonderful man I have ever known, and have days (and weeks and years) of adventure ahead of me! This trip has been amazing so far and we haven't even reached the half-way point. When I take my shower tonight, I will also wash away the disappointments of the day and focus on all of the wonderful events of today, tomorrow, and the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment